Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

University of Rhode Island (1st) vs. Norwich University (1st)
22 October 2016

Location: Fields and Parking located behind Independence Square. Plenty of parking, but no changing facilities adjacent to field; if needed, available about 400 yards away.

University of Rhode Island: 24    Norwich University: 36

The match was preceded by a torrential rain which flooded the field. At match time, there were still puddles and very soft, muddy areas, but the pitch gradually dried out over the course of the match. The first 10 minutes were tightly contested and mostly even, with the only score a penalty from URI in the 3rd minute. The 11th minute saw the first of a three (converted) try onslaught from Norwich in a twelve minute period, during which Norwich consistently broke through the URI defense with great support at breakdowns and quick recycled ball. In particular, the Norwich scrum half and captain was able top exploit around the base of rucks and mauls and make significant breaks, which made it difficult for URI to maintain any defensive structure. URI were able to score a converted try in the 34th minute to stay in the match going into half time (21-10). In the second half, a penalty kick in the 10th minute and a converted try five minutes later gave Norwich a seemingly insurmountable lead. URI, however, were not ready to quit, and they stormed back with a furious counter attack in the 22nd minute for a converted try followed by another three minutes later, bringing them within one score, 31-24, with 14 minutes left. But Norwich maintained their composure and took advantage of their strong scrum, adding a try in the 35th minute to seal a 36-24 victory. This was a well played match, with both sides playing some excellent rugby and maintaining their discipline throughout.

Referee: Jerry Shafir