Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

Providence College Women (1st) vs. Saint Anselm's College Women (1st)
05 November 2016

Location: Field is located behind Harkins Hall and next to Slavin Center.

Providence College Women: 75    Saint Anselm's College Women: 35

On a beautiful November afternoon, a depleted Providence side took on St. Anselms with just thirteen players and no substitutes. After tries in the sixth and eighth minutes by St. A's through a porous, undermanned defense, it looked like it would be a long afternoon for Providence. But a breakthrough by the Providence Number 8 from a scrum plus the conversion brought them back to 10-7. Four minutes later St. A's scored again, and Providence answered with a strong run by the captain and center, again converted. St. A's immediately answered with another try, followed by another converted try by Providence. So after 30 minutes, Providence led 21-20,despite being outscored four tries to three, and they seemed to be gaining confidence as the match went on. They scored two more tries in the half, one converted, while St. A's answered in the 37th minute with another unconverted try for a 33-25 Providence lead at the half. In the second half, Providence seemed to get stronger as the match wore on, and St. A's continued to miss tackles, opening up lengthy runs by Providence. Providence were able to maintain structure and possession in phase play, waiting for an opportunity for their 8, 12 and others to break through. They proceeded to run in 7 more tries, all converted by the stellar kicking of their captain, who only missed one of 11 kicks. Although St. A's dominated scrums all day, taking most opposition put-ins against the head, they seemed to become isolated going into contact after a couple of phases and were unable to sustain their attack. Overall the match was well played in great rugby spirit by both sides, and the crowd were quite entertained. Well done, ladies.

Referee: Jerry Shafir