Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

University of New England (1st) vs. Bates College (1st)
15 October 2016

Location: Approaching campus on Pool Street/Route 9, turn left onto Hills Beach Road at the main entrance to and go 0.3 miles, where the field will be on the right. The best parking for this venue is in Lot 20 or Lot 18. Public bathrooms are available at the Campus

University of New England: 12    Bates College: 13

40 Degrees, Night game

UNE: 2T, 1C Bates: 2T, 1P

This was a very scrappy game played by both sides. UNE ran the ball hard, and excited the homecoming crowd with some big hits and breakaway runs. Both squads displayed some inexperience at the breakdown, with penalties being levied both ways. Play went back and forth for 26 minutes before UNE scored the first try and made the following conversion. Both sides continued to play tough defense, and the forward packs worked hard all game as there was a considerable amount of knock-ons due to the slippery conditions of the evening. The halftime score was 7-0 and there was a feeling the visitors would come out in the 2nd and strike first. They managed to swing the ball wide to a hard running full-back who crossed the goal line 3 minutes into the half. The conversion was missed and score stood at 7-5, UNE. The home team answered 12 minutes later when an elusive forward sliced through the defensive line, 10m from the goaline for the go-ahead score. Conversion was missed, 12-7, UNE. Roughly 10 minutes later, Bates capitalized on a scrum 5m from the UNE goal-line, and a 8-Man pick resulted in a dash to the corner of the try-zone (12-10). The remaining 16 minutes of play was a nail-biter. Both sides gained ground, back and forth. A few penalties by UNE allowed Bates to advance into the redzone area. An additional penalty allowed the Bates side a shot at goal which was made, giving the Visitors a 13-12 lead. UNE was not done, as they managed to punch the ball deep into the Bates end. Time had expired when UNE made a push for the goal-line, right in the corner of the field. My view was obstructed on a potential grounding, so a 5m scrum was awarded to the attacking team. Bates sacrificed 2 more additional penalties, but the Home team decided to play for the try. Bates displayed some staunch defense, and managed to tackle their opponents into Touch as approximately 44 minutes had passed in the half, final whistle blown, Bates victorious. Both sides played incredibly hard.

Referee: Travis Rowell