Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

Bowdoin College (1st) vs. Bates College (1st)
30 September 2017

Location: Parking Lot next to Watson Hockey Arena; field on the other side of the field house.

Bowdoin College: 27    Bates College: 26

Bates: 4T, 3C Bowdoin: 3T, 3C, 2P

Partly sunny, 65 degrees, light breeze

Great conditions fell upon the Bowdoin pitch and both sides were keen to compete in this long standing rivalry. Each squad used it’s athletic backline to advance the ball downfield, swinging it wide and making long runs and the forward packs working hard to retain ball possession. Bowdoin struck first with a converted try 9 minutes in, and the Visitors answered 10 minutes later with a converted try of their own. Bowdoin capitalized on a Bates error on the ensuing kickoff and eventually punched in another try 4 minutes later. At the 40 minute mark, the Hosts led 14-7, and the crowd gathered to watch had been treated to some fantastic Rugby. The second half was even better than the first and I can honestly say that some of the best rugby I’ve seen (at any level) was on display. Bates struck first with a Try and missed conversion and scored again 15 minutes in. After slotting the conversion, Bates jumped out to 19-17 lead. 10 minutes later Bowdoin took advantage of a few penalties and kicked another penalty to grab 3 more points and a 20-19 lead. 3 short minutes later, Bates won their lineout inside of the Bowdoin 22m and swung it to their field general Flyhalf who drew in the centers and dished it to his 12 running a great line. He broke through and was quickly met by the fullback. After a heady off-load and shuffle pass, another Bates back broke through. He was eventually met by a scrambling Wing, and the player who started the break, Bates 10, caught an offload from him to score under the posts. Again, one of the best plays I’ve seen. After easily making the conversion, Bates took a 26-20 lead and had all of the momentum with only 12 minutes left to play. But credit goes out to Bowdoin as they kept charging forward and found themselves within 10 meters of the Bates goal-line with less than 5 to play. The Bates squad had been sucked into a few forward line breaks and Bowdoin swung it wide to a massive overload and scored a try about 8 meters from the corner. Their sure-footed kicker made the kick to take a 1 point, 27-26 lead. Bates came out and played in the Bowdoin end for the remainder of the game, trying to make another great break to clinch the victory. It did not materialize and the game ended with Bowdoin as a the victors but truly it was Rugby that won today. Fantastic game, great skills, and even better sportsmanship on display. Well done to both squads.

Referee: Travis Rowell