Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

Boston Women (1st) vs. Providence Women (1st)
16 September 2017

Location: Joe Moakley Field

Boston Women: 19    Providence Women: 25

Boston & Providence played a thrilling contest that kept the audience anxious for the full 80-minute match time.

Providence took a quick 7-0 lead in the 2nd minute thanks to forcing a turnover on the opening kickoff and a brilliant scrum. In the 8th minute, Providence extended their lead by nailing a penalty kick just inside the 22-meter line. It seemed Providence would score again, but Boston held steady to stay in the match.

In the 25th minute, Boston used their deadly counterattack to score an unconverted try. Providence promptly responded two minutes thanks to their Inside Center making a wonderful break towards the try zone, extending their lead 15 - 5. In the 32nd minute, Boston finished a beautiful series of phases to score under the posts to cut the lead to 15-12 going into halftime.

After the 2nd half kickoff, the ball stayed inside Boston's 22-meter line as Providence's forwards kept creating space for their backs. However, they could not score points thanks to either a dropped pass or an untimely penalty. Providence's efforts paid off in the 61st minute as their fly-half nailed a 15-meter dropkick to extend their lead 18-12.

Boston realized that they needed to shore up their scrums and get the ball to their wings and fullback. They proceeded to do both, which led to a converted try in the 66th minute, allowing them to take the lead 19-18. Providence went back to pounding the ball with their forwards to create space with their backs, which worked perfectly in the 70th minute as they retook the lead with a converted try.

In the game's final minutes, Boston received a penalty near the mid-line and managed to swing the ball out their wings. Providence fanatically cut off their opponents inside the 22-meter line with a minute left. Boston had one more attack left, but Providence turned them away and sealed the contest with a 25-19 victory.

Referee: Alec Tolivaisa