Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

North Shore (1st) vs. New London County (1st)
30 September 2017

Location: GEAA Field

North Shore: 34    New London County: 29

On a mud-covered field, North Shore and NLC gave the crowd a thrilling contest. In the first 20 minutes, North Shore scored the game's first 17 points, thanks to untimely errors by the visitors and a fast counterattack by the home team. Instead of quitting, NLC reorganized their offense and let their forwards carry the team to their first try (converted) in the 23rd minute. North Shore quickly squashed the momentum in the 26th minute to extend their lead to 24-7 thanks to a brilliant run by their fullback. NLC settled down and got back to their strengths and ensured that North Shore's backline would not touch the ball. In the 32nd minute, NLC scored a converted try, and in the 37th minute, NLC nailed a penalty kick to make the halftime score 24-17.

In the next twenty were mainly played on North Shore's side of the pitch, but NLC could not turn the field position into points. Finally, North Shore found their offensive mojo and scored an unconverted try in the 61st minute, making the score 29-17. NLC quickly regained the ball and got into North Shore territory and were awarded a penalty nearly 25 meters away from the try line. NLC elected for points, but the kick did not hook enough to put three points on the board. Instead, North Shore quickly got the ball to their fly-half who was uncovered as he took the 22-meter drop-out. He recovered the short kick and set up a beautiful try to extend the lead 34-17 in the 64th minute.

NLC had every reason to quit, but a couple of their substitute made some plays that got them close to the try line. After North Shore incurred a Yellow Card in the 68th minute, NLC scored an unconverted try in the 69th minute. North Shore was running on fumes in the last 10 minutes as NLC controlled the ball. In the 77th minute, NLC scored a converted try to make the score 34-29. With one last gasp, NLC looked like going to quickly march down the pitch to steal the game, but North Shore made one last defensive stand to walk away with a victory.

Referee: Alec Tolivaisa