Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.


Search NERRS

Match Report for

Providence College (1st) vs. (1st)
04 November 2017

Location: 61 wardlaw avenue allows for best parking

Providence College: 36    : 24

This match was the semifinals of the Northeast Rugby Conference tourney, contested by the #1 seed Norwich University and #4 seed UMass-Lowell. The game provided good entertainment for the crowd. Norwich raced to a 12-0 lead thanks to a fast defense and an excellent counter-attack. However, UML responded in the 25th minute with a converted try and the 37th minute with an unconverted try. On the ensuing KO, it seemed that Norwich stole the ball and raced to the try zone to end the half, but I talked to my AR, and she told me that Norwich committed a knock-on. Instead of complaining about the call, Norwich geared down and scored a converted try to end the half. (I also called back another try earlier in the half because an offsides Norwich player intercepted a pass and scored, but my other AR informed me of the infraction, and I took the try off the board). At halftime, the score was 19-12.

In the second half, Norwich regained control of the match using their power forwards to break through UML's line, as they found the try zone in the 48th minute for an unconverted try. UML countered in the 55th minute thanks to a brilliant counterattack from their fullback who grounded the ball in the middle of the try zone, making the conversion an easy one.

Norwich decided to play more conservative and let their forwards grind the clock out while swinging the ball the backline when chances arose. This strategy paid off in the 59th minute with an unconverted try and in the 63rd minute with a converted try, making the score 36-19.

UML tried to fight on and was determined to end their season on a high note, which they did in the 80th minute, as their captain scored on a penalty play.



Referee: Alec Tolivaisa